Saturday 18 December 2010

[Express Yourself]

No, I'm not talking about the song by Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, though that is a good tune. I'm talking about people who refuse to show their true emotions or thoughts, or any at all.

I was watching reruns of Monk the other day and I came across an episode where Former Dectective Adrian Monk is riding in the passenger seat of a car driven by a man who refused to use his blinkers. This made Adrian extremely uneasy, so he asked the man why he didn't use his blinkers. The man replied, "I don't like to tell people what I'm thinking."

Now, we've all come across people on the highway and whatnot who don't use their blinkers. And we also know that it's extremely dangerous.

When people use their blinkers to tell other drivers if they're going to turn soon, the other drivers will know to slow down a bit to let them turn or go ahead and turn if they are driving in the opposite direction. On the highway where people are changing lanes, it is essential for drivers to use their blinkers.

However, if blinkers are not used, other drivers may be confused as to which way you will be turning or changing lanes if at all. This could result in an accident that may be detrimental to you and the drivers all around you. This is how I feel about people, too.

For example, take a girl who is very unreligious, and doesn't really want to be. However, she has a friend who is religious and he wants to take her to a church activity. The girl can tell him that she is unreligious and he can decide to take her to a movie instead, or she could get dragged into the church activity as a result of her not telling the boy that she is not religious where she would not enjoy herself, nor would the boy because the girl is not.

If you don't show people what you are thinking or your views of things, the people around you won't know how to compromise their actions to fit around or with yours.

Then again, you don't have to tell everybody everything. It's not like you're going to run around screaming your deepest, darkest secrets to the world or open up your car door to show people you're not wearing any pants. Some things are meant to be kept to yourself. But others, essential to benefit yourself and the people around, sometimes are best to be told to others.

I, myself, am guilty of this sometimes. At times, I smile in class so that my teacher and classmates are happy to see me, but on the inside I'm really hurting and the fact that no one else knows or understands hurts me even more.

Are you guilty of not showing your true thoughts or feelings to people if any at all? What do you think about this subject? Do you agree to my relating the road to the thoughts and feelings of people? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that you should show your true self, but sometimes it's fun to get a break from being you. For example, in band earlier this year, I talked in a British accent and everyone believed I was British. That was fun. :3 But when you're really being you, you should just be you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used the metaphor of blinkers for the humanoid emotions. Also, i think all of us hide our real self subconsciously. But with the people we really care about, we relax our guard somewhat. Giving them them not the entire map to our emotional terrain, but small hints as to how our we can be understood.

    ReplyDelete